More than 10,000 women and children will take to the streets of central London on Saturday, 9 March, 2013. The march, organised by Million Women Rise (MWR), is holding up a mirror to the truth of male violence against women in all its forms, bringing women together to say enough is enough.
Women from across the UK will meet at 12 noon outside Selfridges on Oxford Street making their way to Trafalgar Square at 3pm for the rally.
This year we have already seen the rape of millions of women throughout the world and we are only in March. We have heard the German authority’s apologies to a teenage girl for sending her to a brothel to get work. We saw the gang rape and murder of a 17 year old girl in South Africa and the protest from our sisters there. We have witnessed the Irish government commit murder of a woman who was denied her human right to an abortion. Indian women continue to expose the violence they experience after the gang rape of a young woman who is now dead. Women in Egypt have spoken out against state sponsored violence against women. UK Government statistics revealed less than one rape survivor in 30, who goes to the Police in the UK, will see her attacker brought to justice. We cannot forget women in DR Congo or the British Government support for Rwanda and Uganda, two Governments named by the UN as assisting, arming and directing militia’s in the east of DR Congo responsible for mass rape in this war for mineral wealth.
Bonnie Greer, renowned feminist playwright, novelist and critic has sent her support by saying;
“I will be adding my voice to the thousands, who will march under the banner of Million Women Rise this Saturday to call for the end of the global violation of women and girls”
Sabrina Qureshi, founder of Million Women Rise, was named one of the new pioneers of feminism by the Independent newspaper, said:
“Male violence against women and girls is systematic and organised and we are still facing a pandemic of male violence in the UK and across the globe. If gendered violence was a disease the government would be calling for a state of emergency! The recent exposure of Savile revealed the extent of violence a single man can perpetrate, especially when backed up by institutions that colluded in the abuse but we know as women that violence against women is not isolated to one man; it could be any man. This culture of ‘that this is just the way it is” must end now!
“Every woman or child who dies or is injured as a consequence of male violence is a stark reminder of the reason why we march and why we cannot just sit back and do nothing. To do nothing is to accept this violation of our human rights and to say that those lives are valueless or less important than others.”
Rape Crisis (England & Wales) has added their voice to the campaign. Their Vice Chair, Jane Gregory said:
“Rape Crisis supports Million Women Rise 2013 because in order to end the epidemic of rape and sexual abuse we see in the UK and globally we need women to be able to come together, to work together, to show solidarity with all women here in London and across the world and say enough is enough, with our sisters we will change the world.”
The march and rally demands more than words, enquiries, policies and strategies from government. We demand the money and resources that match the seriousness and levels of violence we live with and to enable women to live free from the threat of male violence.
We call for International Women’s Day, March 8th, to be declared a national holiday in celebration and recognition of women’s contribution to all areas of UK society.
The event will be the sixth annual Million Women Rise march. Last year’s demonstration was a resounding success, with an estimated 8,000 marchers participating and substantial press coverage on London Tonight, national and local radio networks.
Please check our website: millionwomenrise.com
Contact media for MWR: 07727419634
Download a PDF version of this Press Release here: